Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Miss Railroad Days Pageant and my near miss...


Traveling home for the holidays (or any reason for that matter) means driving through Peoria, Illinois and it reminds me of a confession that I need to make.  But before I can do that, I must start where it all began, which was the Miss Railroad Days Pageant about 47 miles from Peoria, in Galesburg, Illinois.

There was a little arm-twisting to get me to enter the Miss Railroad Days Pageant.  I definitely didn’t consider myself to be pageant material, but before I knew it, rehearsals were underway and there was no turning back.  I think it was 1985.  I did fairly well, and finished as the first runner-up.  Honestly, it was a relief for it all to be over.  I fulfilled my duty and life could go on.  But when I stood there on that stage that night, in the middle of Sandburg Mall, surrounded by a few folding chairs containing family members and boyfriends, I guess I didn’t realize the great responsibilities bestowed on a first runner-up.  That, in the event of a natural disaster, in which the queen couldn’t fulfill her responsibilities, then I would be Miss Railroad Days.

A few months later, the phone rang and it was the pageant people and there apparently was a natural disaster.  The queen was pregnant.  I was being promoted to Miss Railroad Days.  I thought it through for a second.  No big deal.  I would make an appearance at the next festival, shake some hands and it will all be fine.  But then they dropped the bombshell.  I would have to compete in the Miss Heart of Illinois pageant in Peoria.

As stressful as Miss Railroad Days was for me, Miss Heart of Illinois was worse.  Peoria was a much bigger city than Galesburg, and things here were definitely different.  One contestant sang opera and actually had a voice coach.  Some of them had stylists teaching them how to do their hair.  Many of them had several sequined evening gowns to choose from and the pageant people helped advise them about what might look best on stage.  I had the same dress I wore in Galesburg.  I was feeling a little overwhelmed.

We were instructed to brush up on current events for the interview portion, and I did.  I was feeling fairly confident on pageant day, and figured I would at least do well on the interview.  I mean, I was studying journalism after all.  And all went well until they asked me that innocent final question.  What journalist would I most like to be like?

I paused for a moment, and then answered, “Jessica Savitch”.

There was uncomfortable silence that followed.  A couple of the judges looked up from their papers at me, over the top of their bifocals, and just stared.  I couldn’t be sure where the question came from but I believe I heard, “Why?”  I think I answered that she broke ground for women in journalism.  And she did.  But she was also dead.  She died tragically when her car skidded and became airborne and landed in a canal in 1983.  And I think in studying for my current events questions, I must have missed that a few months before her death, was reported to be ‘high’ on NBC network news and had practically suffered a nervous breakdown live on the air.  Not to mention her reported cocaine problem.

I didn’t get first runner-up in the pageant, or even second or third.  And maybe it wasn’t even the interview that did me in, but the rhythmic gymnastics.

No comments:

Post a Comment