Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Back to Work...

So I tried some of LeBron James' new 'energy sheets'.  You know, that thin little wafer you put on your tongue that has B vitamins and caffeine in it?  It tastes like a dehydrated Red Bull and I can't tell yet if it works or not.  It tastes so terrible it might double as an appetite suppressant and that might be where its true market is.

To be completely fair, that little sheet had its work cut out for it.  Around 2:45 this morning our tornado sirens went off, which sent me into a panic.  My alarm was set for 3:00 a.m. anyway so I could get up and study for our first test in pediatrics tonight...which followed my first day back to work in about a year and a half.  I only got about an hour of reading in and then I rationalized that nothing was sinking in anyway because I was so sleepy, so I decided to nap for an hour and then get up and study for another hour.  The storm siren went off a second time during that nap.   And that last hour of studying was more panic as I came to the realization I really hadn't put enough time into the material.  Cardiovascular and respiratory diseases/illness is difficult and deserves more attention than I have given it because I really do want to know this stuff.

So when Randy asked me this morning if I was nervous, I know he meant about my first day on the job.  I said no, I was nervous about the test I had to take at 5:30.

The job is fine, and I'm grateful that I found it and it found me.  And, even though I haven't had a call from the school nurse in quite some time (because Sofie has missed so much school), sure enough, the school nurse called me at 10:43 this morning.  I snuck into the restroom to return the call, because I don't know what the 'personal call protocol' is there yet.  Thank goodness all the nurse had to report was that Sofie's eyes were a little bit red and her nose a little bit runny.  Her breathing was fine and no fever.  But I'm glad they called me.

Around 3:30 this afternoon I thought I was going to die of fatigue, and could completely understand why George Castanza had a carpenter make a little cubby under his desk for napping.  That's when I turned to my energy sheet.  It probably helped a little.  I made it to class, survived the test, and did fine.  Not great and not bad, but I'll take it.  But I am definitely tired.  I had a really healthy day of eating going, too...a healthy protein shake for breakfast, had a healthy lunch in the company cafeteria, but stopped by 7-Eleven on the way home from class and somehow ended up with a bunch of orange food.  Doritos and that glowy orange cheese that comes in a can with a lid that you peel off and risk cutting a finger or two.  I don't think I've eaten that stuff in 15 years.  But that's what nursing school and the first day back on a new job and tornado sirens and security badges and training manuals and calls from the school nurse can do to a person.  So I guess I forgive myself.  But I'm throwing that can of cheese away in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment